There are many things that distinguish Westtown from other schools. Innovations in teaching practices and curricula set us apart, as does our keen focus on Action-Based Education, Global Leadership Initiative, and educating students to be changemakers in the world. That we are a Quaker school grounds and guides us in all endeavors.
Innovation isn’t new at Westtown. From being the first school in the United States to educate both boys and girls in 1799 to being one of the pilot schools for the Physics First program, Westtown has long been in the vanguard of advances in education.
just as we prepare our students to be leaders and stewards in the world, we prepare ourselves to be leaders in education. times change, technology changes, and what we know about how students learn best changes. we continually evaluate and revise our curriculum to adapt to an ever-changing world and engage our teachers in vigorous professional development programs.
Education in the 21st century demands an emphasis on global competencies体育彩票365, collaboration, critical thinking, writing and research skills – and we rise to meet these demands. How?
- Teaching leadership skills
- Action-based, collaborative learning in all divisions
- Design Thinking iLab in Lower School
- K-12 robotics programs
- Lower School Library Tech Center
- Columbia University reading and writing workshops in Lower School
- Building changemakers: a focus on social action and justice in all divisions
- curriculum in Lower and Middle Schools
- 1-1 iPad program in Middle School
- New science curriculum in Middle School
- Creation of the Westtown Science Institute which is housed in our new Science Center
- Design, engineering and robotics courses
- Advanced course offerings in all academic subjects in Upper School
- The ‘flipped classroom’ approach in Upper School
- Use of the Harkness Method in Upper School history courses
- Opportunities for independent study and research in the Upper School
- Deep Dive Designations for Upper School students
- Our commitment to service and Work Program
- Performance-based assessment in World Languages
- Senior Projects
- A Writing Center in Upper School staffed by students and faculty
and that’s just the beginning. at westtown, we’re all learners, doers and thinkers and as such we’re in a continual search to find and implement the best ways to deliver excellence.